Tasty Thursday: Dinner With My Sister
On Wednesdays, I’ve been heading over to my sister’s house (our very own Christa Allard!) to be treated to a delicious dinner. Wednesdays have become Crock Pot Wednesdays at her house, and there is always plenty of food to go around, and Christa, her husband Ryan, and my sweet little niece Nora have been gracious hosts.
Because I like to get in as much Christa-and-Nora time as possible, I head straight to their house after work, and my husband meets us later when he gets out of work. Lately, I’ve been welcomed by this:
Wait, it gets cuter:
Nora is just learning how to wave and say hello, and today I was greeted with a very clear “Hi?” She likes to say the word like a question, as if she’s unsure she wants to let me in, but I want to play!
While dinner finishes in the crock pot, Christa gets salad in a bowl and rice noodles cooking on the stove, giving me and Nora plenty of time to play. Here she is, mesmerized by Law and Order on the TV (what else?) instead:
Later, she does want to play…with my phone:
Around 6:00, Nora starts to reach the cranky/hungry/sleepy stage, so we get her dinner started with Cheerios. She eyes me warily, because I keep stealing them off of her tray.
Tired of Cheerios, we switch to applesauce, and I’m lucky enough to feed it to her.
Just as we sit down to eat Uncle Lenny arrives, just in time! Nora is always so cute with him. You can tell she’s totally enamored with him (and who wouldn’t be?! But I’m slightly biased, he is my hubby!) the way she stares unwaveringly at him and watches his every move. Maybe she just thinks he’s weird and silly (also valid, haha!) as she gives him this quizzical look:
Finally, it’s our turn to eat, Crock Pot Thai Peanut Chicken.
Christa did an amazing job with dinner, as usual. She is an excellent cook, and we always enjoy what she makes. At any rate, it’s better than the ice cream my hubby and I indulged in for last night’s dinner (and I’m not kidding!), and of course the company is always great. You can find the recipe here, and below.
Thank you Christa, Ryan and Nora! See you next Wednesday!
Crock Pot Thai Peanut Chicken
1.5 lbs of chicken breast tenderloins
1 red pepper, diced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup reduced fat chunky peanut butter
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup non fat chicken broth
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp corriander
Chopped scallions, cilantro, and bean sprouts for garnish
1. Add the chicken, red peppers, and onions to the bottom of the slow cooker.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, chicken broth, cumin, and coriander. Pour over the chicken.
3. Cook on high for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Break into smaller pieces with a fork and serve over rice or noodles. Garnish with fresh lime, scallions, cilantro, and bean sprouts.
Latest posts by Gena Golas (see all)
- The Chair - July 28, 2014
- My love/not-so-love-relationship with my post-partum body - July 21, 2014
- One day, I will wear dangly earrings again - July 14, 2014
- Where working moms pump in Connecticut - July 7, 2014
- Giving my son a bottle for the first time - June 23, 2014