About a week or so ago at work, a friend of mine made a comment about my outfit being “extra” casual or something along those lines and I just chuckled and said, “I’m pregnant, I can get away with it.” He agreed without saying anything else. My outfit was okay (striped cotton 3/4 sleeved t-shirt and khaki cargo-style capris with flip flops) but clearly was pushing the limits of even our summertime “relaxed” office dress code.
This got me thinking about how much a gal can get away with simply because she is carrying precious cargo. NOT THAT I DO THIS but I bet that in my current state of almost 8 months pregnant, there is not much that I couldn’t get my husband, friends, co-workers, or even complete strangers to do for me. In fact, I am confident that I could get a stranger to give up his or her seat in a waiting area or cut a bathroom line with ease.
Here’s a list of things pregnant ladies can defnitely get away with….don’t you agree???
1. Dressing down – it is completely understandable for a pregnant woman to choose an outfit that is comfortable first and foremost. This can be quite a challenge around Month 8 when everything is swollen and pretty much NOTHING is comfortable.
2. Eating too much – if there ever is a time when it is acceptable to overeat, it is when you are eating for 2 so to speak. Ordering dessert is a must and I don’t feel a single bit guilty about it because I’m saving extra calories by not being able to indulge in a summertime cocktail or two. Friend: “Patty, did you just eat that entire pulled pork sandwich and chips and a pickle?” Me: “Well, yes I guess I did. The baby must be hungry today.”
3. Being tired – anyone who’s ever been pregnant or lived with a pregnant woman knows that during the beginning and end of the pregnancy, women are legitimately and often extremely, tired. This could work a hundred or so different ways. For example, I could potentially be “too tired” to do the dishes, laundry, or basically any household chores whatsoever; I also could understandably be much too tired for any hanky panky.
4. Forgetfulness – we have all heard of “baby brain.” It is actually a pet peeve of mine to stereotype a pregnant woman as forgetful but unfortunately, with 2 kids, a dog, and a husband to care for; and a house to run with a part-time job; and family and friends in my life (yes I am blessed!), I may forget a few more things now that I am busy mentally preparing for the arrival of my new baby. Cut me some slack.
5. Moodiness – I’m pregnant, my hormones are raging. Forget that I can be a moody bitch when I am not carrying a child. If I’m pregnant, it MUST be the hormones.
Now, I’m not saying that being pregnant SHOULD be an excuse for anything. I’m just taking note that a baby growing inside you COULD lend itself to explain any number of crazy things that you do if you so choose.
That’s all for this week. I’m too tired to write anymore.