35! I know, I know, I am getting up there but just like a fine wine, I like to think that I am only getting better with age. Here’s my list of 35 things that I have learned over the years. Life experience is our greatest teacher and I honestly believe that I learn at least one new thing every day so I could have easily kept going.
1. There is no love like that of a mother for her child. You cannot understand this until you have a child of your own.
2. Don’t take anything for granted as every day is a gift.
3. Dogs make great friends. They truly are the best listeners.
4. You cannot have it all so be happy with what you have.
5. Sky diving is REALLY scary but glorious.
6. Some people hold grudges. Their loss.
7. Life is not fair so don’t expect it to be.
8. There are only 2 certainties in life: death and taxes.
9. You are never too old to make a new lifelong friend.
10. Have confidence but if you don’t, then fake it.
11. You must take risks to excel.
12. Grocery shopping is a pain in the ass. Period.
13. If you love something, let it go and if it was truly meant to be yours, it will come back to you. This is true.
14. At an open bar event, it is best to sip a glass of water between cocktails.
15. A good friend is not measured by how often you see or talk to each other.
17. Everything is arguable but you shouldn’t always argue.
18. Don’t leave your doors unlocked – better to be safe.
19. Be honest but little white lies are okay if it will prevent someone’s feelings from being hurt.
20. Now is as good a time as any. Don’t put things off if you can help it.
22. Admit when you are wrong and apologize when you should.
23. Smile and laugh often and you will feel better.
24. Cancer does not make exceptions.
25. All moms are working moms. Cleaning and housekeeping are a full time job and really hard work. Parenting is the biggest challenge of all but has the best payoff.
26. Learning to type is a valuable skill. I am forever grateful to my highschool keyboarding teacher.
27. Evil exists.
28. Everyone has issues so try not to judge.
29. Just like Forrest Gump said, life is like a box of chocolates.
30. Gambling is a sucker’s bet.
31. A clean house is overrated. I’m lying. I wish my house was clean.
32. Kids say the darndest things. Be sure to write them down!
33. Time flies so take tons of pictures. You will never look back and say you have too many but you may wish you had taken more.
34. 3 household staples: coffee, scotch tape, and batteries.
35. Don’t assume anything but especially don’t assume others know how you feel. Tell them!