Believe it or not, I dial down my “crazy” for this weekly column. Even with all the True Confessions I’ve spilled and tantruming I admit to, I still give just a sliver of the mind of Kate Street. I do my best to write things that people will relate to…but I’m not quite sure many people would “get” the total woo-woo (or as my husband says “foofy-foof”) package that is Me.
I’m weird. I’m different. And you know what? I bet you are too. Shouldn’t we all be DIFFERENT anyway? Aren’t the things that are weird about us, the things that make us truly who we are?
There’s this saying that goes: “They laugh at me because I’m different. I laugh at them because they’re the same.” Now while I don’t promote laughing at anybody, I can appreciate the fact that it IS funny that we all try to be the same. We try to dress the same (fashion trends), eat the same foods (low-carb, low-fat, low-taste), and we, for the most part, even have the same dreams (good job, nice house, 2.5 kids).
Well, I’m now asking WHY? WHY do we do this? WHY do we all want to be the same, instead of embracing our own unique weirdness?
I’m thinking it’s because of fear. Fear of being laughed at. Fear of not having enough. Fear of doing the wrong things. Fear of rejection. And truly? I think it’s fear of own power. Maybe our POWER is in our weirdness! If we embrace our weirdness, perhaps we are also embracing our true, authentic POWER!
So today I’m embracing all that makes me weird.
I’m weird because:
* I wear sparkly hair tinsel extensions in my hair. While fashion trends would dictate I just wear one or two, I put them in ALL over my head!
* I use the phrase “Divine Order” to fix just about everything from computer glitches to garage doors that won’t open. Hey, it works for me!
* I call on the Angels to help me find parking places and other various things.
* I believe there is a global “awakening” going on in all of humanity, and I think a whole lot is going to change in a very short period of time!
* I believe breakfast, lunch, and dinner are optional and maybe even questionable. I don’t particularly like to eat “3 square meals.”
* I believe the “experts” are only experts of what works for THEM. I don’t believe ANYONE can tell another person what to do/how to live/etc.
* I believe there is a risk in becoming too educated. The more educated you are, the more filled-up with other people’s ideas you become. (This is coming from someone with a Masters Degree.)
* My husband and I do not save for kids’ college. We firmly and resolutely believe that college will not be as important in the next 10 years as it is now (I can hear the gasps!). If they want to go they can, but I would never force them.
* I question “authority” on just about every single issue. The more “popular” the issue, the less I believe it’s something I should be concerned about.
* Someday I hope to drive a colorful, sparkly, glittery car that’s decorated with flowers, butterflies, and hearts! (Maybe by the time my lease is up, Toyota will have come out with their new sparkle-version minivan. Fingers crossed!)
So, that’s my weirdness in a nutshell ~ basically, I’m a sparkly rebel who believes we’re headed for a global Golden Age. And I LIKE it!
What about you? Are you feeling brave enough to admit what makes you weird? ‘Cause I KNOW you are! ♥