I recently enjoyed a wonderful, and much-needed, girls-only getaway with two of my nearest and dearest girlfriends. This was the first time I spent a night away from both my husband and my little girls. Ever. Of course those feelings of guilt started to creep up inside when it was time to walk out the door with my bags in hand but I had to remind myself that it’s OK. It’s OK to take some time for myself. My husband is more than capable of holding down the fort while I’m gone. My children will not be scarred for life. In fact, I was sure that by taking some time away to let loose with my girlfriends I was going to return to them refreshed and rejuvenated. After all, moms need to have a life too, right?
I needed this. It was more than just a chance to evade my everyday responsibilities for a couple of days. It was a chance to prove to myself that I’m still fun. Not just the singing silly songs, playing games, making funny faces, and teaching knock-knock jokes kind of fun. I’m talking about the inner college-aged, fun-loving woman that’s been tucked away in this now thirty year old mom of two kids’ body. Although, it’s quite humorous what things I really appreciated while I was away.
The simple things that made it a true getaway:
- The ability to carry on a conversation without constant interruptions.
- No bathroom invaders. Peeing in peace can be a beautiful thing.
- Having extra time to spend on my hair and makeup.
- Going out knowing there are no booger or food smears on my clothes.
- The ability to leisurely walk through stores. Stores with expensive, breakable things.
- Eating food while it was still warm.
- Being able to sit down for a meal and eat, not scarf down my food.
- Sleeping until 8:10am. Yes, that is now considered sleeping in.
I definitely enjoyed my time away, but I could not have been happier to get back to having the singing silly songs, playing games, making funny faces, and teaching knock-knock jokes kind of fun this mom has grown to love.