Today marks the opening day of the legislative session at the Connecticut General Assembly. It is also the day I return to my job as a lobbyist after having been out of the game since the birth of my son last winter. Life is about to get really complicated. Like many of you, I will be learning how to shuttle two kids between pre-school, aftercare, daycare, and dance class. I will be working many long hours in my job and clocking in even longer hours at home as I strive to spend the rest of my down-time with my family. It will be hard, BUT I just cannot contain my excitement for my return to civilization! Since I have got a lot on my mind and my brain works best when I write out lists, I have put together the very best reasons why I am happy to be back at work today:
1. My new work bag
Thank you TJ Maxx for gorgeous Italian leather at discount prices.Things that are banned from this bag include: children’s underwear and socks; diapers; wipes; crackers or any other “crumb-y” food; and containers of apple sauce that inevitably spill everywhere.
2. My co-workers are the best! I am lucky to work as a team with some pretty savvy and fall-off-your-chair funny women. I never stop learning from them too.
3. Time alone in the car. My commute is only 20 minutes, but it is just enough time to either listen to very loud music or to quietly collect my thoughts. It is glorious.
4. I can dress up! My attire will go from this:
To a little something like this (minus the $45k crocodile Birkin):
5. I enjoy my work. I have been working in state government for 15 years, so I think I’m at the point in my life where I can say I am pretty darn good at what I do.
6. Every day is different. I never know what to expect when I walk into the Capitol building every morning. Of course, the same can be said of motherhood.
7. I am happiest when I am at my busiest. Bring on the chaos!