FREE Summer Fun…happening now at your local CT library!
I’m a library junkie. The boys and I make a stop at our local library 2-3 times every single week. Since graduate school is behind me, I’m re-discovering the idea of reading books of my own choosing. Our local library is very small, but the staff is incredible, and I can get my hands on pretty much any book I want to read for free through inter-library loan. Those I like I then buy used from Amazon for next to nothing, sometimes just a couple of dollars. Nirvana.
This past winter, our library had a book club, open to all ages, to encourage reading. Each week, participants filled out a sheet indicating which books they’d read and received a small prize (pencils, candies, etc.) and raffle tickets for some really nice prizes. Our awesome librarians told my older son, 3.5, that he was welcome to participate since he reads books every night with Mommy. He loved participating and telling the librarians what we were reading.
This past week, the librarian told us that the summer book club would soon be starting…along with an astounding amount of amazing, free children’s activities! I’m always amazed by the wealth of enrichment activities at the library- parent and baby classes, children’s story hours, grown-up book clubs, cooking classes, watercolor painting workshops, gardening talks…and all free! I’m also happy to report that many of our local libraries are very accommodating of working parents, offering evening and weekend activities.
Here are some examples of working-parent friendly choices that I found around the state….Check out what’s going on at your own local library, especially if you haven’t stopped by in awhile!
- West Hartford: PJ Storytimes for families: All ages are welcome to attend. Family fun with stories, songs and music movement. Wear your PJs and a smile! Stories selected are for ages 3-5. Mondays, 6:30-7:15 p.m. July 9, 16, 23, 30 (registration required)
- Salem Free Public Library: Sketch Crawl: Go out to journal and draw from 10-2 on Saturday, June 23 (raindate: Saturday, June 30). Sketch Crawl is about sharing a passion for capturing the details of our world around us with pencil and paper.
- East Hampton: Summer Reading Kick-Off Program! Join us for our summer reading kick-off program! Kids will be asked to “Dream Big” this summer. Tweens and teens may participate in “Own the Night”, and we invite adult readers to participate in “Between the Covers”. Saturday, June 23, 10-12
- Russell Library (Middletown): 1st Saturdays, Favorite Stories and Craft Time: It’s Favorite Stories Saturday! On the first Saturday of every month, a Children’s Librarian will share her favorite stories with you! Drop by for stories and stay to make a craft together. The stories are selected for the 3-5 year old audience and their caregivers, but siblings are welcome! No registration required, 1st Saturday of each month, 10-11am
- New Haven Free Public Library, Fair Haven Branch: Magic at the Library! Matias the Magician, a young Chilean magician, will capture your imagination with his amazing skills. Saturday, June 23, 2:30 pm.
- Simsbury: Adventures in Dreamland Sparky’s Puppets bring a lively selection of children’s stories! For children entering grades 1-6, Monday, June 9th at 6:30 pm