I considered a few alternate topics this week, but I wasn’t quite emotionally or mentally ready to write about any of them just yet. These include:
- PTA Co-chair’s child draws classmate’s blood on playground (hint: I’m the new PTA co-chair)
- When school wants to potty train your 20-month old and you want to be lazy and leave her in diapers for another half of a year
- A plea for help getting said 20-month old to sleep past 4:45am
- Getting a jump start on holiday shopping (and wrapping) because I’m a crazy person
In the end, my Sunday night brain settled on a few go-to recipes around my house. I hope you don’t mind?
COCONUT CHIP COFFEE CAKE:
I like to make this one to bring into work or send to work with my husband. What’s better than starting a Monday with coffee cake that might as well be considered regular cake? And doesn’t everything baked look better in a bundt pan?
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c (8oz) sour cream
- 1/2 c sugar (ok to leave out, I did)
- 1/2 c flaked coconut
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- In large bowl, combine sour cream, butter, and 1 c sugar. Add eggs and beat. Beat in vanilla
- In smaller bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry mix to wet mix and mix with hand mixer.
- Spoon 1/2 batter into greased 10″ bundt pan
- Sprinkle 1/2 of filling then add rest of batter, then cover with rest of filling
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes and cool 10 mins before removing by flipping onto plate.
This has been a staple in our house over the last several weeks as we’ve gotten more eggplant than we can handle with our full CSA share. Recipe is from Southern Living via MyRecipes.com Even after making this recipe, I still had five eggplants remaining, so I froze them via these instructions minus the evaporated milk. I’m hopeful I’ll be able to pull these out of the freezer this winter and have an easy dinner.
THREE CHEESE ZITI WITH TURKEY
Confession: My mom is the one that makes this for my family and it saves our week. I believe she about doubles the cheese! We eat it for several nights. Recipe from SkinnyMs.com.
I hope you’ll take a minute to link your favorite family recipe in the comments? None of mine are really week night recipes, but they’re all nice things to do on a Sunday to get ready for a great week. Hope you have a good one!