This is not the blog post I had planned to write. In fact, I was almost done writing something completely different. But for where I am mentally this week I just couldn’t publish it. I’m not feeling like I have my sh*t together. I don’t feel brave or inspirational. (I bet you’re just itching to read the rest of this now, aren’t you? Right…)
You know those
days weeks where you feel like absolutely nothing is going right and you just can’t catch a break? That’s the kind of craptastic (that has to be a real word)week I’ve had. I could have filled this entire blog post with all of the negatives in my life right now but what would that really accomplish? Nothing. I have decided, instead, to force myself to take a closer look at the bright side and focus on what I have been grateful for during this rough week. There are always things to feel grateful for, no matter what.
So I put together a list of my “top 10” things I’m thankful for this week (in no particular order):
* Scoring some cute clothes at TJ Maxx on my lunch break…with a gift card.
* Paying for a stranger’s coffee at the Dunkin drive-thru and using the opportunity to teach my girls about random acts of kindness and the concept of paying it forward.
* Having fun playing a new game my daughter got for her birthday called The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game. I love that it’s developmentally appropriate for both my 5-year-old and my (almost) 3-year-old. We’ve had some great laughs while playing it.
* Pinterest. Right now I’m having fun pinning all kinds of outfit ideas to try. I’ve lost quite a bit of weight so I’ve had an excuse to go out and buy new clothes. (Not that I ever need an excuse to buy new clothes, let’s be serious).
* My daughter apologizing to her little sister without being prompted.
* Cleaning house. We’re getting our house ready to put on the market so it’s giving me the kick in the a$$ I needed to purge and organize.
* We decided to start doing some home improvements and our bathroom was the first project we decided to tackle. (Alright, so it was really my husband who did everything, but for the record, I was the one who picked out a fabulous shower curtain and bath mat.) I really love the way it turned out. Now I have a nice place to poop peacefully in private. Oh wait… Scratch the peacefully and privately part …I have young kids. It’s just a nice place to poop.
* Speaking of poop, my youngest is killing it with this whole potty training thing! She even woke up in the middle of the night and told me she had to go potty. I’m pretty thankful she’s doing so well because I’ve never been a big fan of this whole potty training process,
* Having the chance to squeeze in a bit of grooming. Haircut, manicure, and eyebrow wax. Sometimes you just need to treat yo’ self, you know what I’m sayin’? It put a little extra pep in my step so I say it was worth it.
* Above all else, I’m so grateful to have two amazing little girls who continue to show me a love like I have never known before; who love me even at my worst, keep me on my toes, and bring so much light and laughter to my world on a daily basis.